Supplementary decisions and interpretations
Following the conclusive formal adoption of these criteria, the supplementary decisions and interpretations below have been drafted in conjunction with the Dutch Society for the Protection of Animals. These decisions/interpretations have not yet been formally adopted and, in the event of exceptional circumstances, are subject to change before being included in the established BLL criteria. In anticipation thereof, certification will be carried out on the basis of these supplementary decisions and interpretations.
Change to abattoir criteria
The Dutch Society for the Protection of Animals has deemed it necessary to make some important changes to the abattoir criteria. This is in response to recent developments at abattoir level.
In the event of a high impact on animal welfare, the Dutch Society for the Protection of Animals has the option to apply a fast-track procedure to be able to enforce this immediately, to a sufficient extent and with appropriate sanctions. In this case, this also includes the application of VCA (Video Content Analysis) in the short term.
Changed criteria concern:
- Including a recommendation for Video Content Analysis (VCA) in the abattoir criteria for pigs and cattle, and changing this criterion for poultry abattoirs. Such a criterion has already been included for calf abattoirs. This is with a clear intention to introduce VCA as soon as possible, within a realistic but as short as possible transitional period.
- Increasing the sanction for causing unnecessary stress and suffering to animals for calves, cattle and pigs, and adding this criterion to poultry.
The changes will take effect as of today, 29/07/2021.
Declaration of stunned slaughter
All abattoirs wishing to slaughter Better Life label animals must sign and enclose a declaration of stunned slaughter with their application.
AWO course under Council Regulation (EC) No 1099/2009
- SVO Animal Welfare Officer
- BSI Schwarzenbek
- Bert Driessen
- KU Leuven
- University of Bristol, Bristol Veterinary School (English)
- SGS-Standorte | SGS Deutschland (sgsgroup.de) (German)
Approved refresher course animal welfare abattoir employees
In some cases, as well as applying for company type ‘abattoir’, it will also be necessary to apply for company type ‘processor’. This is only necessary when poultry, turkeys or rabbits are cut, when beef cows are cut further than into quarters and pigs are cut further into halves.